May 2, 2010

Sunday afternoon tea





A little bit of sweetness in my world of Chicken and wine.
It can't hurt, and with the dreadful weather we've been having in Paris today, I just felt like hanging around home with a couple of friends.
Hanging around with food of course.

So here's a little improvisation that comes from the Kumquats I found at my local market this morning. I don't usually cook them, there are lovely just like that.






But today, I really felt like baking. And I think my friends were I glad I was in such a mood !


Vanilla Kumquat tea party cake


For a small cake:

2 eggs, 85g of sugar, 53g of double cream (thick creme fraiche), 76g of flour, 2t or baking powder, 16g of melted salted butter, a stick of vanilla, natural vanilla extract, butter sugar and about 6 kumquats.

Use your robot to mix the eggs and the sugar for 5 minutes.
The mixture should double in volume. Then add the creme fraiche, sifted flour and baking powder and mix again. Finally add the butter, oil and vanilla extract.
Extract the vanilla grains from their bean and mix again.




Now if you want it to be perfect put this mixture in your fridge and let it rest for a few hours. Unfortunately, I didn't have time to do that for I had to feed 3 hungry French girls who had forgotten all about their so-called diets.


Take a cake pan and coat it with butter, than spread flour on it. Leave it in your fridge for it to solidify. It will be less sticky.

Cut the kumquats in slices (Half a centimeter wide). Heat a pan with butter and a little sugar to do a caramel. Put your pan on medium-high and stay close to it, because caramel burns faster than you know and it would be a shame to waste all your beautiful kumquats.




When the caramel is starting to form itself, put the slices of kumquats in the pan and coat them with the caramel. Wait for about 1 or 2 minutes until the kumquats are well coated and be careful to take them out before the caramel burns !

Heat your oven to 160°C (320° F. Pour your mixture in the cake pan and delicately add your caramelized kumquats on the top. Sink them a little in the dough.
When the heat is ready, put your pan in the oven for 45 minutes until golden brown.






The cake was delicious and went really well with our tea.
However if you wish to bake it for dessert and wonder which wine would suit it best, I would advise you to try out this wine:

Viognier, Domaine Le Fort,
Oak barrel, 2007

Price around 8 euros
info@domainelefort.com





A few weeks ago I served this with an orange soufflé (I'll try posting the recipe soon) and the result just blew us away.
The tartness of the orange blends perfectly with the fruits of the wine (apricot and peach) as well as with the woody finish and touch of vanilla.
Simply one of the best matches I ever had !
As for our food and wine pairing, I'm pretty sure that the vanilla aroma would taste amazing with this little cake...





Next recipe will probably be about kumquats again. I've got a feeling it would be in one of my chicken run recipes !

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related posts

Related Posts with Thumbnails