June 21, 2010

My first Indian Wedding

This post will be a little off my usual topic but I just couldn't resist writing something of one on the most entertaining experience I've had since my arrival in India:
an Indian wedding.



People had told me Indians could get a little over the top when it came to celebrating. They said Indians liked to party and didn't mind a little glitter from time to time. They explained that women would be slightly over dressed...
Major understatement.

I thought I was prepared. Grave mistake.
Stepping past the entrance door of the Taj Lands end in Mumbai propelled me in the middle of a Bollywood movie/Maharajah palace/MTV clip. My epileptic friends beware, so much glitter, shine and gold can be lethal.

Now I'm just being silly. I actually had a fantastic time.
Indian weddings are extraordinary celebrations with up to a thousand guests, filled with rituals and lasting for several days.
The first day was about dancing and festivities. The groom and bride's friends had formed groups of 6 and practiced a choreography for several weeks prior in order to be ready to fight for the best moves on stage in front of the whole assembly.
Have you seen Zoolander? The dance-off?
Same thing but with more jewelery.



After performing on stage the winning group was elected by applause of the house. And let me tell you the house was on fire.

On the second day, came the traditional Pushkar. A wedding procession with the groom on a (heavily) decorated horse. The groom is dressed in a sherwani (long jacket) and churidars (fitted trousers). On his head he wears a sehra (turban). The baraat (basically the groom, his horse, his relatives and friends and all the jewelery they can wear at once) is headed by the dancing of the congregated folks. When arriving at the venue of the wedding, the groom is welcomed by a welcome song called talota. Then the groom knocks on the door with his sword and enters the wedding room.






I could go on and on and describe the whole celebration but I think pictures will be way more efficient than my blabbering. Enjoy !







No comments:

Post a Comment

Related posts

Related Posts with Thumbnails