April 27, 2010

Easy chicken recipe - my chicken run




Everyone eats chicken.
It's easy to make, tasty and not too expensive.
Actually, I'm lying.
It's not always tasty. In fact, more often then not, it's either cardboard hard, burnt or totally bland.


So I decided to go on a mission. Help for mankind. For those who are tired and frustrated of eating the same thing every evening. Chicken should be a delicacy. It can be associated with just about anything, so by the time I'm done with my mission, you should be able to fix something up with what you have in your fridge.

Therefore I will be compiling a large database of chicken recipes that I will either try out or create for this blog.
Each recipe will be an easy and simple entrée or appetizer (No, don't worry, I'm going to refrain myself from doing any chicken desserts) that can be put together for a nice quick dinner at home.
Some will probably be more elaborate. And some will take 10mn from fridge to plate.
Chicken soup, fried chicken, crock pot, baked, glazed, biryani, curry...
All of those will be part of my Chicken Run.

So here goes. My first chicken run recipe.

Breadless Spinach Curry Chicken Sandwich


1 Chicken breast
A little flour and a little curry powder
Xeres Vinegar (or plain red vinegar)
2 large bunches of spinach, about 1 lb
Olive oil, extra virgin
3 cloves garlic, sliced
Salt to taste, pepper

1. Cut off the thick stems of the spinach and throw them away. Clean the spinach soaking the spinach in water. Put the spinach in a salad spinner to remove any excess moisture.

2. Heat 1 Tbsp olive oil in a skillet on medium high. Cut the chicken breast in two in its width so as if to mimic two bread pieces. Cover lightly the two pieces with flour mixed with curry powder. Cook the chicken on both sides until brown and moist in the inside.

2 At the same time, or prior to cooking the chicken, heat 2 Tbsp olive oil in a large skillet on medium high heat. Add the garlic and sauté for about 1 minute, until the garlic is just beginning to brown.

3. Add the spinach to the pan. Turn the spinach several times in the pan to cover it with the oil and garlic. Cover and cook for 2 minute. Turn it again and wait until cooked. Add a little creme or soy cream (soy milk works also if you want to limit the fat).

4. Place one piece of chicken on a plate then add spinach on top and close the sandwich with the remaining piece of chicken. Add spinach on the side of the plate.
Take the skillet you used for the chicken and deglaze it with your vinegar. Pore on the chicken sandwich.

The association of curry and spinach is absolutely delicious. Chicken is crusty with curry flakes and still moist inside. The final touch of vinegar brings a great acidity that makes this a simple yet enjoyable dish.
The white stuff on the side is basil infused whipped soy cream.
As this is supposed to be a very simple recipe, it will be the subject of another post but I can assure you that curry and basil blend admirably well !

With this dish you may drink:
Apple cider
Gewurztraminer from the Alsace region






4 comments:

  1. I would love to eat your "sandwich"

    ReplyDelete
  2. He he I'm glad you like it, you should try it out and tell me about it !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm, I can tell you I am not keen on spinach, but my mouth is watering...

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Elodie: I promise next time I'll try something else ! I'll try to think about something that my go well with your delicious Galice wines ... ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Related posts

Related Posts with Thumbnails